The Brevard Church of God had it's beginning in the early 1940’s. Rev. A.L. Gardin conducted prayer services in various homes in the Brevard area. With the help of Rev. Carl Cox, the services were moved into a tent near downtown Brevard. The church officially became a part of the Church of God, Cleveland, Tennessee on July 31, 1945. Although many people misunderstood and opposed the holiness movement, the power and demonstration of the Holy Spirit caused the congregation to increase. The church was organized with seven members joining the first night the opportunity was given. Several other members joined within the next few days. Property was purchased on French Broad Street, and a rock building was erected by the pastor and members in 1945. The present building on McLean Road was built while Rev. D.K. Maney was pastor, with the dedication service on April 21, 1978. On July 31, 1995, we celebrated fifty years of service to the Lord. In the summer of 2001, the name was changed to Open Arms Tabernacle in order to reflect the vision statement of the church. The church continues to be a part of the Church of God, Cleveland, Tennessee.
Church of God History
It was 1886, in a crude meeting house on the Tennessee-North Carolina border, where the Church of God traces its roots. There, a group of eight sincere Christians had a deep desire for a closer relationship and life with Christ. Realizing the futility of reforming their own churches, they established a new church whose objective would be to restore sound scriptural doctrines of the Bible, encourage deeper consecration and promote evangelism and Christian service. Twenty-one years after the formation of the Christian Union that evening at the Barney Creek Meeting House, the growing movement would establish themselves permanently as the Church of God.
From this seemingly insignificant origin has grown one of the most influential worldwide Pentecostal denominations. For over 120 years the Church of God has been a distinctive movement focused upon communicating the gospel in the power of the Holy Spirit. Presently, the Church of God has a world-wide membership of over 6 million with a presence in nearly 150 countries. Leaders of the Church of God are recognized as some of the most respected Pentecostal leaders of today.
The Church of God began on August 19, 1886, in Monroe County, Tennessee, near the North Carolina border. Former Baptist Richard Green Spurling preached in a millhouse along Barney Creek and eight persons formed a Christian Union for the purpose of following the New Testament as their rule for faith and practice, giving each other equal rights and privilege to interpret Scripture, and sitting together as the church of God. Twenty-one years later the growing movement formally adopted the name Church of God.
The call of the Church of God today beckons back to those early days at Barney Creek. Church of God congregations around the globe are experiencing the fire of the Holy Spirit today more than ever. Reports of revivals where hundreds are saved and filled with the Holy Spirit are frequent and on-going. The call of the Church of God is for world evangelization. It is a call to discipleship and prayer. It is a call of commitment. It is a call for the Church of God to be a channel for Pentecostal revival well into the new millennium.